The long-established US movie streaming service Netflix has finally launched in the UK, and will be serving up unlimited film streaming for just £5.99 a month.
Already signed up to content deals in the UK are BBC Worldwide, Lionsgate UK and MGM, with others expected to be listed at the official announcement later today (there’s a fairly paltry selection currently on offer).
That’s a price that’s going to have its UK rival service Lovefilm feeling pretty uncomfortable as their comparable unlimited movie streaming deal costs a minimum of £9.99 a month (although that includes two DVDs at home at a time).
The £5.99 package offered by the Amazon-owned Lovefilm only offers a paltry two hours of streaming time each month, making the Netflix deal look a lot more enticing.
Given Amazon’s resources, we’re expecting a price war to break out in response which can only be good news for consumers.
Update: Lovefilm have immediately responded by reducing their prices to £4.99/month.
Here’s what the UK service will offer:
- Watch on your PS3, Wii, Xbox, PC, Mac, iPad, AppleTV, more.
- Choose and instantly watch as much as you want — it’s unlimited
- High quality video instantly streamed over the internet
- Over 100,000 people are joining Netflix every week
- Cancel at any time with just 3 clicks online — no hassles
- See what your Facebook friends are watching & Netflix will share what you watch and more with your friends
You can try Netflix for a free a free one month trial