We’ll certainly have to give this to the design team at Motorola – we didn’t expect a form factor that looked like this.
The upcoming new Droid Pro on Verizon is a fairly chunky looking portrait handset with a BlackBerry-like keyboard bolted on below the 3.1″ screen.
On the back is a 5-megapixel camera with auto focus and dual LED flash, and there’s rather a natty pattern swishing along the back cover below.
Of course, the front of the phone is the big story, with that Blackberry baiting full QWERTY keyboard set to tempt wavering RIM fans deep into Android territory.
Motorola’s intention to tempt over corporate users is reflected in the the built-in security features, including “AuthenTec IPSec multi-headed VPN integration, remote wipe of device and SD card, and complex password support. Device and SD card encryption will be available in early 2011.”
The handset is set to ship with Android 2.2 and come skinned with the funky MotoBlur interface, and support global roaming in more than 220 countries.
It’s a grower
You know, the more we look at this thing, the more we begin to like it.
We guess it’s because we’ve got used to iPhones, HTC Legends, Desires and all the other high end handsets coming with virtual keyboards (or slide out keypads), so it’s a bit of a shock to see an old fashioned QWERTY on the front of the Droid Pro.
But you know what? It might just be crazy enough to prove a hit…
Here’s the full press release:
Global Android Smartphone from Verizon Wireless Combines Rich Business and Personal Mobile Experiences
SAN FRANCISCO – From CTIA Enterprise & Applications™ 2010, Verizon Wireless, the company with the nation’s largest and most reliable wireless 3G network, and Motorola, Inc. (NYSE: MOT) today unveiled DROID PRO, a new, powerful, stronger and faster solution designed to meet both business and personal needs. The first Android™-based smartphone optimized for business use, DROID PRO is also a global-ready Android smartphone from Verizon Wireless, allowing customers to enjoy wireless voice service in more than 220 countries and data coverage in more than 200 countries.
DROID PRO meets employers’ and employees’ needs by addressing the productivity tools businesses require, including corporate connectivity and security; full push corporate e-mail with corporate level security; unified calendar with additional work features; pre-loaded Quickoffice Mobile Suite, a powerful 1 GHz processor; 4 GB of memory (2 GB internal; and 2 GB removable) and a QWERTY keyboard designed for speed and convenience.
“DROID PRO combines the feature-packed, high-level user experience that customers look for in an Android smartphone plus the security that enterprises require, all with the reliability of Verizon Wireless’ 3G network,” said Mike Lanman, president – Enterprise and Government Markets for Verizon Wireless. “DROID PRO builds on our commitment to deliver the best Android experience to the marketplace as well as to our enterprise customers.”
“The DROID PRO is an advanced business-ready solution that provides users with the full smartphone experience, redefined by delivering the power of a DROID,” said Sanjay Jha, chief executive officer of Motorola Mobility. “The DROID PRO consolidates users’ work and personal needs. This is just another reason the DROID PRO is setting a new standard for enterprise, allowing users to enjoy all the benefits of a smartphone with full push delivery of corporate e-mail and corporate level security.”
Key features and specifications:
· Support for both Exchange e-mail and Gmail™ for business
· Corporate directory look-up, unified calendar for Enterprise and sync with Google Calendar™
· PC-like browsing with Adobe® Flash® Player 10.1 on a full, multi-touch, 3.1-inch brilliant display built on Android 2.2
· View, edit and share documents, including Microsoft Excel® spreadsheets, PowerPoint® presentations and Word® documents
· Built-in security features, including AuthenTec IPSec multi-headed VPN integration, remote wipe of device and SD card, and complex password support. Device and SD card encryption will be available in early 2011
· 3G Mobile HotSpot capabilities – Allows customers to connect up to five other Wi-Fi®-enabled devices and laptops
· Live widgets that stream e-mail messages to the home screen; customers can filter the widgets to separate work and home e-mail
· 5-megapixel camera with auto focus and dual LED flash as well as DVD-quality video
· 3G diversity antennae provides customers with enhanced data speeds and range
· Wi-Fi®-enabled DNLA® connectivity
· Android Market™ – Provides customers with access to more than 80,000 applications
· My Verizon and Backup AssistantSM support – Allows customers to manage their wireless accounts or their contacts from their phones
Pricing and availability:
· DROID PRO will be available at www.verizonwireless.com and in Verizon Wireless Communications Stores in the coming weeks. Pricing will be announced closer to launch.
· For more information about Verizon Wireless products and services, visit a Verizon Wireless Communications Store, call 1-800-2 JOIN IN or go to www.verizonwireless.com.