O2 has announced that it will be offering HTC’s new BREW-based smartphone, the HTC Smart, running the company’s natty Sense user interface on top of Qualcomm’s Brew mobile platform.
Available in three colours – pink, white and black – the Smart is aimed at the budget end of smartphone market, but comes with a fairly respectable spec sheet, including a 2.8-inch touchscreen with QVGA resolution, a leisurely 300MHz processor, 256MB of ROM and RAM.
There’s also Bluetooth 2.0+EDR onboard, plus all the usual smartphone trimmings in the shape of a 3.5mm audio jack, 3-megapixel camera, media player and a microSD card slot.
Peter Chou, head hotshot of HTC, shovelled on the praise for the HTC Smart with Sense, insisting that it offered “uncompromised functionality,” serving up a winning selection of features for smartphone skinflints.
Here’s some guff from the press release:
The HTC Smart embodies HTC Senseä, HTC’s unique design philosophy that focuses the mobile experience on people. The HTC Smart’s compact touch design integrates the pillars of HTC Sense – Make It Mine, Stay Close and Discover the Unexpected – to deliver a user-friendly user experience.
People can customize their own, personal HTC Smart experience using a variety of widgets for quick access to contacts, photos, music, weather and more. People are able to follow their friend’s status updates using HTC Friend Stream, an application that seamlessly aggregates all of your social communication including Facebook, Twitter, and Flickr into one organized flow of updates. This simple aggregation makes it easier than ever to focus on what friends are doing as well as the images and links that they share
The HTC Smart will be rocking Europe via an exclusive deal with Telefonica/o2 from April as an O2 exclusive device.
There’s no mention of price yet, but we reckon you’ll be looking at the the £20/month mark.
* Processor: 300 MHz
* Operating System: Brew Mobile Platform
* Memory: ROM: 256 MB
* RAM: 256 MB
* Dimensions (L x W x T): 104 x 55 x 12.8 mm ( 4.09 x 2.17 x 0.50 inches)
* Weight: 108 grams ( 3.81 ounces) with battery
* Display: 2.8-inch TFT-LCD touch-sensitive screen with QVGA resolution
* Network: HSDPA/WCDMA:
* Europe/Asia:2100 MHz- Up to 384 kbps up-link and 3.6 Mbps down-link speeds
* Quad-band GSM/GPRS/EDGE: 850/900/1800/1900 MHz
* (Band frequency and data speed are operator dependent.)
* Connectivity: Bluetooth 2.0 with Enhanced Data Rate and A2DP for wireless stereo headsets
* HTC ExtUSB (11-pin mini-USB 2.0)
* 3.5 mm stereo audio jack
* Camera: 3.0 megapixel color camera with fixed focus and flashlight
* Audio supported formats: .aac, .amr, .qcp, .mid, .m4a, .mp3, .wma, .wav
* Video supported formats: .mp4, .3gp, .3g2, .m4v
* Rechargeable Lithium-ion polymer battery: Capacity: 1100 mAh
* Talk time: Up to 370 minutes for WCDMA / Up to 450 minutes for GSM
* Standby time: Up to 600 hours for WCDMA / Up to 450 hours for GSM
* Expansion Slot: microSD memory card (SD 2.0 compatible)
* AC Adapter: Voltage range/frequency: 100 ~ 240 V AC, 50/60 Hz
* DC output: 5V and 1A