It’s been available in Europe for a while, but now US users can get jiggy with Sony’s Android-connected SmartWatch – the follow-up to 2010’s Sony Ericsson branded effort .
The SmartWatch wirelessly hooks up to Android 2.1+ devices via Bluetooth and acts an extension to the handset, displaying new texts, calls, social network updates, and incoming calls.
Compatible with a number of existing apps, the watch also lets users control music and snap photos remotely via the 1.3” 128 x 128 pixels OLED smokescreen display.
Charged through a USB port, Sony say the SmartWatch will deliver up to up to 4 days per charge, and comes with is available with pink, white, mint, grey, blue and black straps.
The watch retails for $149.99 in the States, while UK users can bag one for for £90 on Amazon.
Here’s Sony press release:
Store your Smartphone: SmartWatch from Sony Brings Android Power Straight to Wrist
Innovative Android™ accessory from Sony allows you to stay connected when your phone is stowed in your pocket or bag
- Read social updates, text messages and email
- Manage calls with a simple touch and swipe
- Personalize with apps downloaded from Google Play
- Control music on your smartphone
- Snap pictures with your Android phone from a distance
April 12, 2012, Atlanta, GA –Sony Mobile Communications announces the availability of its new SmartWatch, a wearable device that extends the power of Android smartphones by sending timely and personal information from your smartphone straight to your wrist. A vibration and screen alert notifies you of key events, like an incoming call. It also allows you to read texts and emails as well as receive Facebook™ and Twitter™ updates – all from your wrist.
A growing number of apps are available for download through Google Play – including those for social updates, workouts and music – all customized for the 1.3-inch OLED SmartWatch touch screen. While SmartWatch works with these existing apps, Android developers can create apps specifically for the device. SmartWatch works with most Android (2.1 and above) smartphones.
“SmartWatch is the first of many Smart Extras that seamlessly connect and expand the smartphone’s reach and user experience,” said Paul Hamnett, President and Head of Customer Unit, North America, Sony Mobile Communications. “Designed to break free from the single screen experience, SmartWatch provides access to live content and entertainment on the go.”
The durable SmartWatch is dust proof and splash proof and comes with a black rubber wristband included in the box. Wristbands in five additional colors are available for purchase. SmartWatch’s design includes a rear mounted clip, so it can be removed from the wristband and attached to clothing or a belt.
At launch, SmartWatch has a suggested retail price of $149.99 and will be available at http://www.sony.com/smartwatch
SmartWatch is part of Sony Mobile Communications’ strategy to create Smart Extras that make Android smartphones smarter.
Key Features of Sony Xperia™ SmartWatch:
- Dimensions: 1.42 X 1.42 X 0.3 in
- Weight: 0.55 oz
- Display: 1.3” OLED display, 128 x 128 pixels
- Compatibility: Bluetooth™ 3.0 and Android™ 2.1 or above
- Connectivity: Standard USB charging
- Battery life: Up to 4 days
- Language support for: English, Spanish, French, Chinese (Traditional), Portuguese, Swedish, Russian, Danish, Polish, Japanese, Czech, German, Modern Greek, Dutch
- Notifications: Display notification or vibration
- Apps: All events (displays in chronological order), Messaging (SMS/MMS), corporate E-mail (for Sony™ and Sony Ericsson Android phones), Gmail (for all other Android smartphones) Calendar Notifications, Facebook™, Twitter™, Music Player, Call handling (call, mute, reject, or answer and send pre-defined SMS), Pre-defined SMS, e.g. missed calls – I’m busy, messaging – call me, email – ok, Battery strength, Find phone, andWeather widget. Plus lots of apps on Android™ market.
- Additional SmartWatch bands available in pink, white, mint, grey and blue